Student visa requirements for the US
||Types of student visa
||F-1 Student Visa
||to study at an accredited US college or university or to study English at an English language institute
||J Exchange Visa (J-1)
||for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study
||M Student Visa (M1)
||for non-academic or vocational study or training in the US
*Please visit the US Government’s Department of State website to learn more.
Intakes in the USA
American colleges and universities have three intakes. These intakes can also be referred to as semesters in some cases. The three intakes available in the US are as follows:
- Fall Intake: The fall intake starts in September.
- Spring Intake: The Spring intake starts in January. If you miss the fall intake, this is the next best option.
- Summer Intake: This intake is available for limited programs and colleges and usually begins in May.
Cost to study in the US
Universities are mainly categorized into two types: Public/State and Private. Public/State universities have lower costs than private institutions. The amount you will spend on tuition fees depends on the level of education and the university or school you choose. On average, you should expect to pay approximately $8,000 to $55,000 (USD) per year for tuition fees. However, this is only an estimate and can vary widely depending on various factors.
|Undergraduate (bachelor degree)
||$20,000 to $40,000 per year
||$20,000 to $45,000 per year
||$28,000 to $55,000 per year
Scholarships to Study in the USA
Scholarships in the USA are a great opportunity for Indian students. You can pursue your academic dreams at some of the best universities in the world. There are a variety of scholarships available to Indian students. These scholarships can be merit-based or need-based. Some scholarships are specific to certain fields of study. At the same time, other scholarships are open to students of any major. Many scholarships offer more benefits, such as accommodation, health insurance, and travel expenses.
Scholarships to study in the USA for Indian students:
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships are offered to Indian students who wish to pursue a master’s degree or Ph.D. program at a US university. The fellowship covers tuition fees, living expenses, and airfare.
- Tata Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to Indian students accepted into Cornell University and covers the full tuition fees for undergraduate study.
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships – This scholarship funds Indian students to pursue a master’s degree at a US university in any field.
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship is awarded to Indian students accepted into Stanford University’s MBA program and covers tuition fees and living expenses.
- Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program – This scholarship is available to Indian students pursuing a master’s degree in development-related fields at a US university.
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to international students, including Indian students, who have demonstrated leadership potential and wish to pursue undergraduate study at American University.
- Rotary Peace Fellowship – This fellowship is available to Indian students who wish to pursue a master’s degree in fields related to peace and conflict resolution at a US university.
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program – This scholarship funds Indian students to pursue graduate study at a US university in development-related fields.
- Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans – This fellowship is available to Indian students who are immigrants or the children of immigrants and wish to pursue graduate study at a US university.
- International Student House of Washington, DC Scholarship – This scholarship is available to international students, including Indian students, who wish to pursue undergraduate or graduate study at a US university and covers room and board expenses.
Top courses to study in the US
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- Arts and Humanities
These are just a few of the many courses available for students in the USA. Ultimately, the best course of study will depend on the student’s interests, skills, and career goals.
Top Universities in the USA
According to the QS World University Rankings 2023, here are the top universities to study in the US:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- University of Chicago
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Cornell University
These universities are all renowned for their academic excellence and research capabilities. However, it is important to note that the “best” university for a student depends on their individual needs. Preferences such as location, the field of study, and available resources. It is important to research and consider multiple factors when choosing a university.
Job prospects in the USA
International students are highly sought after due to the US job market shortage of skilled workers. Those who want to settle in America can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa. This visa will allow them to work and reside permanently in the country.
There is high demand for graduates in the USA. Particularly in the following fields:
- Film production
- Real estate
- Computer Science and Information Technology